Services and Supports
Dementia Care Specialist
The Dementia Care Specialist will come to your home or meet in another location of your choice to:
- Talk through your situation and concerns
- Help you and your family understand Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. Discuss the process and how this disease will affect your loved one over time.
- Provide crisis planning and help develop a family action plan to assist in times of need.
- Discuss strategies and provide tools to cope with behavioral changes and skills that can help reduce stress in the home.
- Assist with obtaining community and supportive services.
Call 262-605-6646 for more information or to schedule a visit.
Music and Memory
Music and Memory is a program that brings personalized music into the lives of persons with dementia through digital music technology, vastly improving quality of life.
Our Dementia Care Specialist works with the family caregiver and the person with dementia to create and provide personalized playlists using iPods/MP3 Players and related digital audio systems. The personalized playlist enables those struggling with Alzheimer’s, dementia and other cognitive and physical challenges to reconnect with the world through music-triggered memories.
Why It Works
- The brain ties music to memory
- Personalized therapeutic music enables the listener to reconnect, regain social skills and live more fully
Therapeutic Benefits of Personalized Music
- A way to give pleasure to persons with advanced dementia
- An enjoyable, fulfilling activity for persons in dialysis, on vent or bed-bound
- Increases cooperation and attention, reduces resistance to care—a real boost for caregiver morale
- Reduces agitation and sundowning
- Enhances engagement and socialization, fostering a calmer social environment
- Provides a valuable tool for the effort to reduce reliance on anti-psychotic medications
Memory Café is a fun social opportunity for individuals concerned about their memory, who have a diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment (MCI), early to moderate-stage Alzheimer's or other types of dementia. Care partners are an integral part of the Memory Café. This is an opportunity to share stories and connect because being active physically, socially and mentally is good for the brain!
Dementia LiveTM is a short program which allows caregivers to participate in a simulation of day to day life that includes some of the common sensory and cognitive challenges caused by dementia. The program is meant to increase understanding, while offering tools and tips for caregiving. Dementia LiveTM is coordinated by KAFASI. For more information call: 262-658-3508.
Family Caregiver Support
Are you caring for someone with Alzheimer's disease? Does someone you love have Alzheimer's disease or another dementia? There are support groups for caregivers and family members. Learn more...
Online Family Caregiver Training
Are you struggling with caring for a family member with dementia, need more information, but just don’t have the time to seek out assistance? This online educational program may be the answer. Developed by dementia educators at the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, the program is easy to use. You will be able to apply the information you learn to everyday living situations. Learn more...
The Alzheimer's Association is an important community partner in providing education and support to persons with dementia and their caregivers. Kenosha is served by the Southeastern Wisconsin Chapter.
Local Office (Milwaukee): 414-479-8800
24/7 Helpline: 1-800-272-3900